Thursday, July 12, 2007

Day 5 - Radium Hot Springs to Wasa Lake (July 4)

Happy Birthday U.S.A.

West side road south from Invermere.


I fiddled around and finally got on the road at 9 a.m. Bad idea. The cool of the morning had all but gone. Now it would be hot, hot, hot for the next 70 miles.


Before leaving the campground, this herd of bighorn sheep sauntered into the campground looking for roses to eat. I barely had time to react to these sheep. They were only 30 feet from me (10 or so meters, if you are Canadian). I initially saw them and thought, “oh, ho hum, big horn sheep.” Then when they passed, I thought, “holy cow…big horn sheep.” All I could do is take a couple of pictures and went on my way.

The route took me away from the main traffic routes. This helped. I rode through Invermere and near Fairmont Hot Springs. This area looks like you are in Switzerland. Not that I have ever been there. Beautiful country even though it was very hot. These lakes and the associated river network are the headwaters of the Columbia River - the same Columbia river that flows through Portland.


I couldn’t find a nice place to stop and eat, so I sat on the side of the road. Not very sophisticated, but it works.



From here, I stopped in a small logging town. It was too hot. The store owner said I could take a break, eat ice cream, and take a nap under at a picnic table under a pine tree. So I took a nap at the table, under the tree, after my ice cream.


I stopped in Skookumchuck . I was very tired and decided to stay here. But not liking any of the accommodations near the river, I decided to climb the hill on the other side of the river to see if there were any hotels. When I finally summitted the hill, I found only empty fields. Since, I didn’t want to descend back to town and have to climb this hill again, I decided to just keep riding.

More hot riding until I got to Wasa Lake. I had a nice chat with the woman at the fruit stand. Stayed at the Wasa Lake Motel. Not a very busy place - I was one of only two lodgers that night.

Rants: Flies.

If I’m riding at slower than 14 miles per hour, I sometimes find that I have collected some freeloaders:flies. I admit it, riding in 100 degree heat, I smell and that smell probably attracts flies. Who wouldn't smell if they had spent all day cycling (be reassured that I take a shower every day). The flies aren’t just sitting in their homes (as if they had such things). There is a whole insect world floating around on the roadway - mosquitoes, gnats, and flies. So if I pass a fly, the fly gets my scent and quickly turns and pursues. If I’m riding slower than 14 mph, the fly stays with me for a while. Sometimes a fly buddy comes and joins in the harrasment.

I ride with a rearview mirror attached to my helmet. This way, I can see what is behind me. I can see if a car is riding too close. I can also see the flies. The flies typically catch my scent and then come at me at a steep angle as if they were going to dive bomb me. The flies typically circle my helmet in a counter-clockwise direction. They rarely land, but they are irritating. They tend to stay with me for no longer than 5 minutes. But it is an irritating 5 minutes. If I try to ride faster or if I descend a hill, I tend to lose the flies.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.