Saturday, July 28, 2007

Day 20 - Norris to Canyon (July 26)

Riding in a fog...

The day began riding in the fog. I didn't mind this because it meant cooler temperatures. The ride from Norris to Canyon was short. Canyon is the location of the "Grand Canyon" of the Yellowstone River. This is a very busy area in the park.

After nearly being talked out of a tent site by the reservations person, I got a tent site for only $6.50. What a bargain! I went to my tent site and met some German bike tourists - Uta and ? They said that bike touring was very different in Europe - there are many bike paths and secondary roads, but no "campsites" per se.

After setting up came the best part - a hot shower and laundry. It costs extra, but after last nights cold and somewhat wet night, I was happy to pay.

After cleaning up and eating, I set out for another hike. This hike was just like yesterday - it rained for most of the hike. After I was finished, I noticed that I was very wet and even more, very tired.

I went back to my tent. After yesterday's rain, I had carefully made changes to my tent to make sure that I didn't get wet. Well my plans were foiled and the floor and my sleeping bag were wet. It is not fun sleeping in a wet sleeping bag. It had rained so hard and long that just about everyone's tent in the campground was wet.

Since I didn't have a car to hide in and stay warm, I decided to try my luck to see if there were any cancellations at the Lodge. There were no rooms in the Lodge, but there was a "cabin," which is basically a motel room. I was very happy to be able to stay inside, warm and listen to the rain fall on the roof (instead of the tent rainfly) all night long.

What follows are my pictures of the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone River during my rainy afternoon hike. Maybe I will start my hike earlier next time.







When I was waiting to get a dry place to sleep, I stopped in the new visitor center to dry off and to try to see if I could find an Internet connection. I was not able to find an Internet connection during my entire stay in Yellowstone NP. The Federal Government wants all the visitors to Yellowstone to have a visit that does not have distractions like the Internet. Well I think I got my fair taste of wilderness during my visit, so give me my darn Internet! This is why the blog entries were not posted right away.

Day 20 - Yellowstone NP, Norris Junction to Canyon Campground - 16 Miles

No comments: