Friday, September 7, 2007

Day 41 - Sabbattus, ME to Nobleboro, ME (September 6)

Time to be traveling along...



It was now time to get back on the road. I asked my friend Melodie to get me closer to my destination. We drove to Sabbattus, Maine where I headed east and Melodie headed back to Manchester, NH. I was sad to part. Even though I like to have my time to myself, I had been with people for the past week and I had grown used to having a lot of people around. But, I was now getting back on my bike and would now, mostly be solely with myself, for the month.


Here's a rare photo. A photo of my behind. Oops, I mean, a photo taken from behind. Fortunately, the driver of this vehicle was friendly to cyclists in general, and to me in particular.



The ride was obnoxious. Maine is NOT a good state for riding. There are no shoulders. The roadways are deteriorating and many roads have heavy traffic. Additionally, there is no flat. Every road climbs for a while, descends for a while, etc. I continued with this up and down rhythm to Damariscotta where I ordered a burrito, got some food and continued.


On the ride the wind blew strongly from the southwest - the direction of the ocean. After fighting these winds for many hours, it finally occurred to me that these were afternoon sea breezes like those that occurred in San Francisco. The only difference being that the breezes blew from the southwest instead of from the Northwest. It’s nice to be back at the Ocean.


My destination was Lake Pemaquid south of Nobleboro. My friend’s parents have a house on the lake and I spend the next few days here to work on my law school applications. Think “On Golden Pond.” It‘s a nice shallow lake surrounded by trees.


Day 41 - Sabbattus to Nobleboro - 48 Miles

No comments: