Monday, September 17, 2007

Day 45 - Acadia National Park (September 16)

It is cold after a storm front.

I decided to cycle to the top of the mountain, Cadillac Mountain (to the right), in the background of this photo to try to see the sunrise. I was a few minutes late, but it was nice to see the early morning sun and to get up early. It was really cold up there. I had to ride in that cold for at least 20 minutes as I descended the mountain. When I got into Bar Harbor, I tried to look for a sunny place to warm up. It was much warmer in town. I sat and watched a cruise ship come into port. It took me almost 20 minutes before my hands were warm enough to operate a zipper.

After warming up, I found a place to eat and got ready for the rest of my day (in other words, I did my laundry).


I then caught the Ferry to Schoddic Point. Where I discussed politics with a Republican from Massachussetts. We both agreed that the nation seemed to collectively holding its breath until Bush II leaves office.

The ride to Schoddic Point was glorious. Nice weather. Sun as far as the eye could see. It was nice. A two-lane one-way road. I took up an entire lane.

At Schoddic Point, I convinced myself that Maine has surfing potential. The problem is that most of the coastline consists of shelf. The land just ends at the water and there is nothing to make a wave break except the shoreline. The land just drops right off into the water so there is no sloping beach slowly getting deeper into the ocean.


These type of cliffs are typical. They just drop right off into the ocean which doesn't make for good surfing conditions.


Bar Harbor is a popular place for cruise ships to stop.


On a hike later on, I noticed these strange mushrooms.


View from the top of the Beehive.


View of Sand Beach from the Beehive.


Beehive. You can hike straight up the side of this mountain. The National Park Service has place ladder rungs into the cliff. Not for those who are afraid of heights.


Beehive from afar. The ladder rungs are attached to the side of this mountain.


Almost to my campground and I passed by this calm lake. No moose in sight. Darn!


This day, I met a British cycle tourist, Gavin Crump, who was just finishing his 3,000-mile ride from Florida following Adventure Cycling's Atlantic Coast Route (although his website says the southern tier - from Florida to San Diego - he changed his mind when he found out how hot it would be in Texas and the west). Along the way, he raised 4,000 pounds (almost 8,000 dollars) for an organization that supports those with Parkinson's Disease. He's British and lives south of London. When I first met Gavin, he was just riding into Bar Harbor. It was the end of his trip.

We chatted for a while, along the way finding out that we had a lot in common: a father with Parkinson's, we have worked as environmental consultants, and we both cycle tour. Later on, we had drinks and got a bite to eat. Unfortunately, it was too calm that night because it was Sunday, but it was nice to actually stop and swap adventure stories with another touring cyclist.

Acadia National Park - 42 Miles

No comments: