Monday, October 15, 2007

Day 49 - Sam Son to Vinh (October 14)

So How is the Cycling?

Vietnam is perfect for cycling for a variety of reasons. For one, everyone cycles in Veitnam, so there is little worry about cars or vehicles. The cars, motorbikes, and trucks are aware of the cyclists and yield to them. At first, watching the traffic on Vietnam's Highway 1A might seem harrowing, but there is a rhythm to it. The trucks don't want to run into the cars, the cars don't want to run into the motorbikes, the motorbikes don't want to run into the bicycles, and the bicycles don't wat to run into the pedestrians.

Along Highway 1A, there is constant activity. There is always someone moving along the highway, whether an ox, a peasant, a vendor, school kids cycling along, etc. This is a real change from my cycling earlier this summer in the Intermountain west. There I could ride for 10 minutes without seeing a automobile. Here, I'm not alone for more than 15 seconds. Even when I think I am alone, I hear someone yelling 'alo (i.e. "hello"). Wearing lycra and riding a fancing touring bike, I really stand out. Terry sticks out even more - being over 6 feet tall.




Another day of riding alone. I met Terry 20 kilometers before the end of the ride. Along the way, I stopped for lunch at Mai Giang Bar. I don't have a clue about what town I was in at that point. I did the best I could with negotiating food. This involved walking into the kitchen and pointing out what I wanted. Fortunately, they had tofu. A group of gentlemen in the corner stared. I would too, I was wet, tired, and dirty. They wanted me to drink with them. Since I still had a little more than half of the ride to go, I decided to skip the drink.


Today was a long ride.

Day 49 - Sam Son to Vinh - 104 Miles

No comments: