Friday, October 26, 2007

Day 55 - Hoi An to Quang Ngai (October 22)

Terry left at 6:10 a.m and I left at 7:00 a.m. It was raining very heavily. So much so that the steets of Hoi An were flooded. I rode through a puddle that almost came to the top of my front panniers. A month later as I rode through a puddle caused by a high tide in Marin County, California, I would laugh at this experience.

Before I left town, I decided to look at some of the architectural sights. Because it was raining so hard, I didn't get far. I did, however, stop at the Japanese Bridge.


It rained for at least half of the day. Before I stopped for the day in Quang Ngai, I travelled northeast to Son My. This is the location of the My Lai massacre, a notorious war crime which occurred during the Vietnam war. It was a very moving experience. With only a hint of propaganda the horror of that day was clear to see.

The Names of Those Who Died.


The Disturbing Massacre Diorama.


A Page Out of the English Version of the Visitor Book.


Communist Monument to the Massacre.



Replica of the burned and bombed remains of a villager's house at My Lai.


I stayed at Khach San Hu'ong Tra (Hotel) in the center of town at 469 Quang Trung. A few days later, I would determine that I had left my jacket there. On October 28, I returned to Quang Ngai to retrieve my jacket.

The wikipedia entry for Quang Ngai says that the city has very little non-Vietnamese tourism. My experience confirms this. At the hotel at which I stayed, the manager couldn't speak a lick of English. However, we were able to communicate enough to establish that I needed a room and to get a good room rate. Later on, the lack of English would complicate matters when I returned for my jacket. Fortunately, I had the help of a bilingual speaker when we called the hotel manager to tell him that I intended to come pick up the jacket.

Robot Water - Makes you Ride like a Robot!


Day 55 - Hoi An to Quang Ngai - 130 Kilometers

No comments: