Monday, July 23, 2007

Day 18 - (July 24) West Yellowstone to Madison Junction, Yellowstone NP

Nice day for a ride.

I began my ride early. After some administrative things - email, etc. it was time to ride into the Park. I was concerned that I would not get a campsite, so I left early. What I found out is that I didn't have to worry. Luckily for me, there are hiker/bicyclist spaces at almost each campsite in Yellowstone National Park. Except for the popular campgrounds (Madison, Lewis Lake, Colter Bay - actually in Grand Teton), a hiker/bicyclist space is always open. In fact, if one were in good cycling shape, one could bicycle tour all of Yellowstone NP in the summer and not have to make a reservation. Read on, because that's just what I did.

What's this? I can't ride on the boardwalk? But I can ride singletrack (see below)!


A Blue Heron in the Middle of the Madison


The original plan was to take two rest days in Grant Village. But the guidebook that I had didn't think that Grant Village was that nice. So, I didn't actually "rest", I changed my route and went to Norris Junction and Canyon instead (see the next two days).

Here's Old Faithful. Right on time (or not).


This Rarely Erupting Geyser (not Old Faithful) really let loose. So much so, it soaked at least 30 people who were walking along on the boardwalk near the geyser.


Back to this day. There was alot to see. The ride to Old Faithful is nice. It is a mostly flat ride along the Firehole River. Yellowstone actually allows off-road riding, so I rode from Fountain Flat Drive to Grand Prismatic Spring.


Not Quite the Grand Prismatic, but Nice Anyway.


Geysers, Geysers, Everywhere.


Many Pools are Blue. Very Blue.


This Geyser Isn't So Active. Just Blue.


Some Have Bacteria Growing in Them.


Leading away from Old Faithful and leading to Upper Geyser Basin was this bicycle-allowed path. I didn't know that you could ride single track in the National Parks!


Day 18 - West Yellowstone to Old Faithful to Madison Junction - 53 Miles

No comments: